Q'uellar d'Kor'ali
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

House of Kor'ali

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Reguarding My Absence

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Hades
Elghinn Velve
Elghinn Velve
Hades

Male Number of posts : 237
Self-proclaimed Title : Ilharess
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Reguarding My Absence Empty
PostSubject: Reguarding My Absence   Reguarding My Absence EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 5:51 pm

I apologize for my recent length of absence guys. My shit was insainly messed up. You see, I got hit with a nasty Virus based from AntiVirus XP 2009. This is a rogue anti virus program that automatically installs itself when your hit. Then it tells you you have thousands of viruses and tries to force you to buy their product to fix it. It is a serious problem, and it appears to have evolved.

The Virus has now swept through my computer like a fucking hurricane.
It cleared out my system restore checkpoints.
It has nearly destroyed my internet access.
My SYSTEM32 folder is in flames.
I can no longer download any programs such as anti-virus programs.
I can no longer update or even attempt to update ANYTHING!
Did I mention my SYSTEM 32 folder is on fire?
I receive a thousand pop-ups.
I cant log onto NWN 1 or 2
Random rebooting followed by nasty blue error screen

And thats just for starters. Its reached epic level now and has crippled me.

I have gone through every measure I can to even get my system to almost function. I'm impressed I can even get on this web-site. Getting on MSN is near impossible..

Reformatting is not an option I would like to consider. I have too many files of uber importance that I cant lose and I havent made any back ups of anything.

Unless I am able to fix this, or anyone has any insight, im WAY SCREWED. I will be back as soon as possible, so please try to keep things going in my absence. You all know the tournament roster, Talice is free to continue the tournament in my stead. When I return I will reward the winner with the reward money.

When its Talice's turn, have another priestess ref the match. If possible please put some screenshots of the matches on the forums for me to read. Feel free to adjust the bouts to be more level apprpriate. Include Avuna if he is currently not on the list of combatants.

Thanks for your patience anc sorry for my absence.

~Vorne
Back to top Go down
Elundur

Elundur

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: suggestion   Reguarding My Absence EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 10:26 pm

Buy a second hard drive to do a clean install. Then put your current HD in as a slave. Transfer the files you want to keep then reformat it. Depending on the virus it shouldn't skip HD's. Other than that hope to see you back ASAP and good luck with the virus.
Back to top Go down
Ansient
Ust Dalhar

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Reguarding My Absence   Reguarding My Absence EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 1:36 am

You definitely need to transfer important files to somewhere else and reformat.

There is no other option; to entertain keeping your existing installation is crazy talk.

I own one of these and can recommend it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822101031

Best would be to get an internal 750GB or so drive and do a fresh install with your old drive disconnected, and hook it back up once you've got an up to date antivirus and such ready to go, to pull your data off the old drive (which can then stay connected after a reformat).

But I figure you need minimal fuss and for $77 shipped that's what the USB thing offers.

Once you get that drive hooked in, the best would be to boot from a LiveCD such as "Knoppix" and transfer your shit WITHOUT entering windows. If you can't do this, I'd suggest asking your most technically-inclined friend for help.
Back to top Go down
Hades
Elghinn Velve
Elghinn Velve
Hades

PostSubject: Re: Reguarding My Absence   Reguarding My Absence EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 6:49 am

Sounds like a solid plan. Im a bit strapped for cash right now, so it might be a bit before I can buy a second hard drive. Ive been going through my files deciding what I can lose and what I cant and putting a few things on a flash drive. I think im going to bite the bullet and reformat. Alas this brings me to my next problem.....I lost my bloody operating system cd. I should be able to find a replacement pretty quick and I can convince windows to activate it for me no problem once I do.

My second problem is that I do not have a disk for MOTB and my disk for NWN 2 is corrupt. I will have to download both of them (Unless I can get my nwn 2 disk to work at least), which will set me back a few days.

Reguardless, hopefully I will be back in action soon.

If only this virus could just be manually removed. Ive gone through removing every component of it that I can but the problem is that it keeps changing names. The virus changes its file name to something random every few seconds. Its truley amazing as far as viruses go and as much as I want to kick the person who created it in the teeth, I got to hand it to them...

14+ hours of deleting files and its still there....

So yeah, gonna get a disk and just reformat.
Back to top Go down
Elundur

Elundur

PostSubject: Game Installs   Reguarding My Absence EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 7:45 am

If you can't find a good install for MOTB I would let you use my direct2drive account to download the install. Assuming you still have your CD key.

Also for your OS what are you using?

If its Vista anything I can tell you how to crack the activation process, and if its XP pro I think I still have some Business keys around. Assuming you still have the CD's for either of them.

As far as NWN2 itself I didn't do direct2drive with that so I can't help you there.

If you need anything else just let me know man.

Goodluck
Back to top Go down
KociPazur
Velguk

Male Number of posts : 42
Self-proclaimed Title : laptop murderer
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Reguarding My Absence   Reguarding My Absence EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 8:24 am

Dude - check this link!

http://www.wiki-security.com/wiki/Parasite/Antivirus2009

Page is full of info about your problem and ways of dealing with it including list of files to delete.
I guess you might have seen it at maybe it failed ... but in case if not TRY!

Cheers and GOOD LUCK!

Raf
Back to top Go down
Hades
Elghinn Velve
Elghinn Velve
Hades

PostSubject: Re: Reguarding My Absence   Reguarding My Absence EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 9:30 am

I have my CD Keys for NWN 2 and MOTB written down and safely stored for later use so if I do have to reformat, I can use them with a fresh install of the game.

Im running Windows XP Home Edition I believe, though I currently have no disks for it. Trying to locate one now

Thanks for that link KociPazur. I have seen it before (same information, 10 different web pages) and it is useful. The problem is that I cant seem to find....any of those files mentioned. Ive deleted everything I could from my registry, from my C: Drive and anywhere else that I encounter this Virus and its offspring. It seems to be burrowing deeper into my system and the files mentioned are becomming harder and harder to locate. If anyone has any idea how I can specifically find them, that would be great. Running a Search doesnt work and I have tried to manually locate them, but so far have been unsuccessful.
Back to top Go down
KociPazur
Velguk

Male Number of posts : 42
Self-proclaimed Title : laptop murderer
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Reguarding My Absence   Reguarding My Absence EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 11:34 am

I don't know too much about viruses but what I do know is that many can survive drive re-format and even changing of the drives - some can get to your computers BIOS.
Or that was the issue with a virus called Chernobyl couple years ago - my friend had to change his mainboard and drive after being hit with the virus.

I guess plugging the drive to another machine (I guess would be good to try a Mac since they are sort resistant to Windows viruses) and run a search to locate the files.
Browsing more forums about that virus you have might help too - I think best help you will get from somebody that had same virus and managed to cure the PC.
Back to top Go down
Hades
Elghinn Velve
Elghinn Velve
Hades

PostSubject: Re: Reguarding My Absence   Reguarding My Absence EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 11:38 am

I hope it doesnt survive. Ive spent hour after hour working on it. Was up for 2 days straight looking through anything and everything I could. Even watched the many You Tube Videos on how to remove XP Antivirus 08. Lot of good stuff there. It helped me to at least get -some- of it out, but not enough sadly. I will keep trying before finally reformatting.....there must be something I can do that wont cost anything to remove it. Just got to think.
Back to top Go down
Hades
Elghinn Velve
Elghinn Velve
Hades

PostSubject: Re: Reguarding My Absence   Reguarding My Absence EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 11:42 am

Ansient wrote:
You definitely need to transfer important files to somewhere else and reformat.

There is no other option; to entertain keeping your existing installation is crazy talk.

Damn it. I cant help but feel your right, as usual lol. Alright fuck it. Im going to reformat. To hell with my files, I have the real important ones on a flash drive (hope its not infected too lol). Alright, now to find an XP disk.
Back to top Go down
Elundur

Elundur

PostSubject: Re: Reguarding My Absence   Reguarding My Absence EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 11:52 am

Hades wrote:

Damn it. I cant help but feel your right, as usual lol. Alright fuck it. Im going to reformat. To hell with my files, I have the real important ones on a flash drive (hope its not infected too lol). Alright, now to find an XP disk.

If you can't find a Home edition but can get a hold of a Pro edition Let me know I can get you a Key
Back to top Go down
Hades
Elghinn Velve
Elghinn Velve
Hades

PostSubject: Re: Reguarding My Absence   Reguarding My Absence EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 8:57 pm

My computer has been reformatted! I am running Windows XP Pro edition and I managed to get a key from my neighbor. Now is just the lengthy process of downloading and updating EVERYTHING. Once I get everything up-to-date I will begin my installation of NWN 2. I will need to get a copy of MOTB from someone if possible, otherwise I can just download it. I have the CD keys needed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reguarding My Absence   Reguarding My Absence Empty

Back to top Go down

Reguarding My Absence
Page 1 of 1